Handbooks and Orientations

Teacher Education Documents

License Forms

Teaching Credential Information

Certification Map - Teacher certification made simple

Interstate (Reciprocity) Agreement

All of Catholic University's teacher education programs are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and state-approved by the District of Columbia.


Because the District of Columbia has signed a reciprocity agreement with 47 other states, candidates who apply to the District for their standard teaching license will find ti easier to apply for a license with those other states.  The following states have signed reciprocity agreements with Washington, D.C.:

Alabama  Indiana Nevada South Carolina
Arizona Kansas New Hampshire South Dakota
Arkansas Kentucky New Jersey Tennessee
California Louisiana New Mexico Texas
Colorado Maine New York  Utah
 Connecticut Maryland North Carolina  Virginia
 Delaware Massachusetts  North Dakota  Vermont
 Florida Michigan Ohio  Washington
 Georgia Mississippi Oklahoma  West Virginia
 Hawaii Montana Oregon  Wyoming
 Idaho Nebraska Pennsylvania  Virginia
 Illinois Nevada Rhode Island   


Early in their programs candidates should contact individual state jurisdictions where they are seeking employment for specific courses and tests necessary for full licensure.

PLEASE NOTE: Completing a teacher preparation program does not automatically result in teaching licensure.  Candidates must make formal application to each state in which they seek a license and obtain passing scores on both Praxis CORE and Praxis II for a teaching license for most states.  Information on Praxis CORE and Praxis II is available from the academic advisor, education faculty, and at the ETS website.

The best way to be licensed in any of these states is to apply first for a teaching license in the District of Columbia and then submit an application to the other state(s) in which licensure is sought.  All program requirements must be completed and the Office of the Registrar must confirm graduation from the NCATE accredited/State approved program before the application can be submitted.  The Office of the Registrar should be contacted about when graduation will be verified.